Monday, May 17, 2010

Today.

I could NOT get motivated to go to the gym this morning, which is weird, because just last night I was eagerly anticipating throwing on my sneakers and attempting to match last week's accomplishment. Maybe it had something to do with with the Mortuary phone ringing at 11:30, and Mike's lumbering attempt to reach the kitchen to catch it before that 3rd ring. Or it could have been the crying baby at 2 am in his soaking wet pajamas and his refusing to fall back to sleep without his bottle. It could also have been Mike's alarm that went off at 4:45 as usual, but this time it got turned off without a hint of movement from either side of the bed.

Oh well. I'm pretty sure I more than made up for it with the 5 hours I spent out in the garden today, weeding, transporting shovelfuls of compost, hand tilling, raking and planting 3-100 sq. ft. beds. There's no way I didn't burn at LEAST as many calories as my hour at the gym. Plus, I get the added benefit of home-grown watermelon, cantaloupe, butternut squash, pumpkins, zucchini, corn, basil, dill, jalapenos, green chilies, parsley, cilantro, and--of course--TOMATOES!!!!!--from today's plantings. There's just nothing better than eating food you grew yourself. Not only does it taste amazing, but there's such a sense of satisfaction and accomplishment when things come full circle.

There's still a lot of work to be done, but for now, everything's planted and I'm thrilled to get it all started. I'm still looking forward to my date with the Elliptical tomorrow, so hopefully leaky diapers will remain at bay, and since we're off tonight, we shouldn't be interrupted by a phone call, either. (Now is when I insert a warning that anyone who might think it's funny to call me at 11:30 will have one grouchy mama to contend with once I'm coherent enough to figure out who you are.)

With that, I'm off to bed.

No comments: