Saturday, August 8, 2009

Channeling My Inner Polynesian

As I continue to sacrifice my beauty rest on Saturday mornings by participating in the produce co-op (nevertheless...worth it!), this week we got fancy and paid homage to my newly Hawaiian brother by adding the tropical pack, which included bananas, pineapple, mangos, kiwis, limes and a coconut! Not entirely sure of what I wanted to make out of it all, I perused one of my favorite sites on the internet, www.allrecipes.com. (Even if I don't use the recipes there, it's a great place to get some ideas when I'm stumped, and as to what to do with a fresh coconut, well, I was stumped.) I ended up finding a recipe for a Samoan sweet roll called Pani PoPo, that is similar to a cinnamon roll, but is slathered in sticky coconut sweetness instead of cinnamon. Mmmmmm. My kinda food! I even saw a variation of it that included rings of pineapple on the bottom--like pineapple upside-down cake, only drenched in ooey, gooey, sticky coconut goodness. Can't wait to try this one...probably next week when the pineapple's a little less forest green, and a little more golden yellow. I'll let you know how it turns out...

No comments: