Friday, October 24, 2008

Halloween Rant

As much as my kids love our ward's Annual Trunk-or-Treat, I'm not sure that I want to return again next year. For at least the last 10 years, we do a soup/stew/chili potluck, then let the kids have at it in the parking lot to fill their buckets with goodies. The problem is, any semblance of order has devolved into complete chaos in the last couple of years! I understand that kids need to be kids, but is it naive of me to assume that parents have taught their children that dodging in and out of pews in the chapel dressed as a SATAN is not exactly appropriate? Am I wrong to think that parents who are members of the church will not allow their children to wear a mask in the building? Am I wrong to think that parents have taught their children (and themselves!)to have manners, and wait for everyone to get their food before going to get seconds...or thirds...or fourths? Is it naive to assume that parents will have taught their children not to knock over small children in an attempt to run through the trunk-or-treat line for the eighteenth time??? Maybe it's just me and my "High Ideals", but I think parents have really dropped the ball, and in my humble opinion, are simply not doing their job! It's just plain disrespectful, and my children are learning that this behavior is acceptable! Is it just me or do some of you feel the same way? In any case, it's a good thing I have a whole year to decide whether or not to go again--maybe I will have forgotten this big mess by then, then again, maybe I won't....

2 comments:

Kate said...

Completely agree. Also, when did it become ok to go to someone's door (or car in this case), get candy and then not say, "thank you!" Does it take too much time to utter two little words??? I can't believe someone came to a church activity dressed as Satan...then again I probably could guess who...Sorry it was such a rotten experience!

Julie w said...

Praise Amanda! Jason and I are sooooooooooooooooo against Trunk or Treats! It totally spoils the fun of waiting for Halloween night and I feel it makes other's who may not want to participate miss out on sooo many costumes at their doors and or feel left out if they do not wish to participate in another church's activity. I know that we don't stay home and hand out candy because of family traditions but still, down with trunk or treat! What a way to instill instant gratitude in a bad way and greed. I guess the same could be said about trick or treating as far as greed and instant gratitude but at least they have to walk more than 2 steps to get LOADS of candy. Plus, why the heck are the kids in the chapel anyway? Yikes. I think we should have rules to ward parties as far as what's acceptable behaviour as far as how you act when you and your kids are in the hallways. We had a family party at a church and kids were ALL over the building running and screaming and I was like, what the? okay, I'll stop. DOWN WITH TRUNK OR TREAT!!!!!!